“Love Is Not Self-Seeking”
What does it mean to be selfless when you are living in a world full of self-righteous and socially-driven individuals who are all out for their own personal gain? How do you avoid being selfish with those you love and begin to be completely and totally selfless?
These are questions most people internally and sometimes subconsciously struggle with on a daily basis. In fact, being completely selfless is a concept that I do not believe to ever be fully accomplished as a human being. At one point or another we become selfish. It is within our human nature and something we are ingrained to act out. So how do we avoid that?
I would say the only way to perfectly study how to be selfless is by looking at the only life to ever grace this earth that has accomplished the art of selflessness. Jesus Christ lived in such a way that He was envied by all, loved by many, hated by masses, followed by large numbers, and used as an example forever. He became this due to His life of being the perfect leader.
Question & Answer: What is the most difficult thing for you to be selfless with? Why? What in your life do you feel selfish towards? Where do these desires come from?
I challenge you to serve others! Begin thinking selflessly and let go of your selfish desires. Serve and help others to the best of your ability and through God’s strength!
Personally, this day hit a very hard truth for me; the truth is I have a hard time giving all of my time. Work. Family. Chores. There is always something or someone needing my attention. Sometimes the thoughts in my mind make me forget that everything and everyone in my life is a blessing [as learned by Pastor Craig Groeschel] if I allow these thoughts to take root, the direction of my life changes in a negative way.
- God has blessed me with a career that helps provide for my family and a boss that is beyond understanding.
- God has blessed me with two beautiful littles who are both wildly energetic, intelligent beyond their few years, and have hearts full of love, kindness, and understanding.
- God blessed me with a husband who is every bit of the man I dreamed to be my forever, even when we are not perfectly aligned, we both know that a marriage is unconditional love and unending grace. I couldn’t ask for a more loving man to be the father of our littles and head of this family.
- God blessed us with a home that offers us more than enough. It is an honor to have dishes to wash, beds to make, toys to pick up, laundry to fold, etc…
- Dishes mean that our bellies are full; to make a bed means that we have a nice place to lay our heads at night; picking up toys means that my littles are making the most of each day; folding laundry means that we are clothed.
Be honest with yourself when you feel selfishness setting in and ask God to help you see things through His eyes. All it takes is a different perspective and it’s truly amazing to see the differences when you allow God to change the way you think.
With love in Christ,